Thursday, November 09, 2006

Essen 2006: Italians Emotions Part I

Hi

still too much busy to conclude my Essen Experience (I miss only the sunday), I have just prepared a small article for BGN.

In these days I got a lot of feedback from Italians about the Essen Experience. I remember at my first Essen, years ago, there was not more than 2-3 Italian publishers/designers (Kidult, Leo Colovni, ...) and not many Italian games. Now also Italians (designers, gamers and publishers) look at Essen as a central moment in their activities.

I have tried to capture comments and feelings of the Italians and put together in this post: I’m still waiting an answer from others so it could be that some day a part II will be posted here.


Andrea Angiolino

(Game designer)

This year Essen went very well for me. As an author I can say that “Wings of War” sold a lot - some sets were sold out and several people joined the Yahoo Discussion Group and gave feedback on forums after the show. As an agent, good things on the horizon: hard to tell what will become real, but anyway in Nuremberg we’ll see something on the market for sure. As a player I finally managed to get Command & Strategies n. 5 with a game about the air battle of Arras.

My only regret is a really huge one:I have not been at Essen! All this happened from far away while I was at home among rulebook drafts, little models of biplanes, game books and magazine articles to be written sent around, prototypes to be tested ... That’s awful. I have to work even more in the next future. Before the next Essen, or even the next Modena, I want to be free and be there again. Everybody enjoying the fair while I am back home finishing my homeworks? No way! ;)

Giacomo Sottocasa
(Game Designer and Publisher)

Everytime I enter the Eingang Ost to the Internationale Spieltage I’m a child again It’s quite difficult to mantain a professional profile, trying to discuss international distribution for my company or to find a publisher for my games, while I’m surrounded with all those wonderful games, while I feel I must play everything in there, while I’d like to discover evry single tile or wooden piece hidden in the boxes the Essen Spiel is a multicoloured universe of fun where you can meet gamers from all over the world& the Essen Spiel is a unique chance to play games from companies and self-producers coming from everywhere.

Carlo A. Rossi
(Game Designer and Game Developer)
I attended the fair from Wednesday (yes, one day before) to Sunday and the only thing I can say is “hey there, is there someone who played tons of games and can suggest to me some to buy? because… I don’t!!!

Meetings, meetings, meetings nothing more; it’ s really the case to say “all work and no play makes Carlo a dull boy” (that is, btw, my actual screensaver).

Silvano Sorrentino
(Game Designer and Publisher)

Publishing a game about the Leonardo da Vinci (designed by Acchittocca and already sold out at half of the fair) was a good thing both to daVinci Games and other representative of Italian Genius.
Not only Leonardo was 3rd at Fairplay, but also other two Italians games was in the first 10: Hermagor (Emanuele Ornella) and UR (Paolo Mori) and the tables of others Italian0s games was always crowded (think about Nexus’ Marvel Heroes).
The Italian Game seems to be appreciated every year more. I was very happy both for the success of Leonardo and for the success of the other Italians: World Champion!

Alf
(Game Developer)

This is my second adventure in Essen, and my only regret is that this year my free time was just a couple of hours. But even when busy running from one meeting to another what can be seen around is always amazing and inspiring. Gamers, families, cos-players, game designers, and everyone likes games or has something to do with them can find someone else to play, work, or just exchange idea. It is just like a pilgrimage to “La Mecca” for a Muslim, it must be taken as a trip at least once in a lifetime.

Walter Obert
(Game Designer)

Great time for me, nice to meet so many people from different countries in the name of Game. Without voice after have shouted and laughed with so many “hytericoaches”. A special thanks to our special german friend, Jost from www.spielepizza.de. Ciao! To next year, with next games!

Paolo Vallerga
(Game Designer and Publisher)

I went back from Essen really happy. This year I have presented a game by Walter Obert (HisteryCoach) that has had a great popularity both for gamers and distributors. I have also had a lot of contact for my fantasy series “Saghe di ConQuest”, Spain and Canada over all. This refund me of the great effort put in the production. This year the budget was fully positive. So, “Arrivederci a Norimberga”

Piero Cioni
(Game Designer)

Tenkigames at Essen 2006
The big event has ended. As usual it was a wonderful experience! We met a lot of people: gamers from all around the world, journalists, designers and other publishers.
Our Essen was very good! Our tables was full of people trying our new games. This year we show games for families and we was happy to see families having fun with our snakes or our collapsing aztec ruins.
We met also a lot of distributors from several countries and we signed agreements to see our products distributed in several countries we doesn’t reach before. All in all, we are extremely tired… and extremely happy!
HTPWYS
(Hope To Play With You Soon)


Good play to all
Liga

No comments: