Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Monday Evening at Club TreEmme

Hi all

here I'm for another report of my evening/night of game at club TreEmme. Yesterday evening I was able to play Legio, O Zoole Mio, Mission: Red Planet, Legie, Legie and Legie.

I got also my copy of Battleground: Fantasy Warfare (Dwarfs army and reinforcement).

Waiting for Jappo I played Legie against Gianluca. It was his first game so we played the basic rules. I use the white and I won but I think it is not difficult to win against a first time player.


In the meanwhile Jappo arrived so we start playing O Zoole Mio. I had already played it some years ago at Mik house, but was nice for me to play it again. We was 4 player: me, Gianluca, Jappo and Saverio.

I start my game slowly trying to get as much benches as possible and concentrating on one single color (blue). At the end of the 2nd two round I was 3rd, but I was the only one with benches (3) at I was second in the blue and the grey. Jappo was leading far away of us, since it was able to be 1st in 3 colours and second in another one. Gianluca was 2nd, not too much away from me and scoring high for trees and blues. the only one really cut off for the winning was Saverio: it had a bad start and he wasn't able to fill the gap.

The 4th round ends with Jappo still first with me and Gianluca tied at the second place and not too much far away. I got 4 benches (and nobody else has one!) and so I was ready for the final rush. I play smarty controlling Jappo: he got the second last tile but I keep my money for the last one. I was able to steal him the 2nd place in the gray, I got the 1st in the blue and 4 benches. I ended 1st, Jappo 2nd, Gianluca 3rd and Saverio 4th. Was a nice game and until the last two tiles there wasn't a sure winner.



I really liked the game. It is a simple, quick but good game. The mechanism behind the auctions is quite good and works well. Also the way the Zoos grow is nice and, like in may other tiles games, the puzzle aspect is funny. To win you need to think ahead and keep observing what other players are doing.

After a short break we start playing Mission: Red Planet. I red a lot of comments about this game and I was curious to try it myself. I was worried about the too much randomness problem in the discovery cards people on the net was pointing out.

We was again me, Gianluca, Saverio and Jappo. The material and graphics are really nice (I really like the illustrations on the cards) and the rules are quite simple and easy to master. Only Gianluca has already played the game so I try to compete against him right from the beginning. After the first score Gianluca was leading and me and Jappo was fighting for the second place but I was able to put a lot of colonist on mars.

Gianluca was the only one to play his #1 card, so was easy to argue what Jappo and Saverio was playing before the 2n score. I try to go for easy and sure points (my objective was 5 points for each region where I was the only colonist and I place a 6 points bonus discovery in an area where I was with 4 colonist). Soon I discover I wasn't able to compete with Jappo for ice bonus and so I try to maximize my resources gathering. At the 2nd score Gianluca and Jappo was leading (they both got 2 9 points region) and I'm quite behind, together with Saverio. Me and Jappo hadn't yet refilled the hand and so in turn 9 we had to play the card 1. But that was not so bad since I was able in this way to lunch a ship with 4 colonist.

I play the explorer in the last round and since I was the last in the turn I was able to think well where to go. I was able to score a 9 points region and tie in another one.

With the bonuses the final score was 49 for me and Jappo. The other two was quite behind. The points gained by discovery runs from 6 (Gianluca) to 12 (Jappo) and so I think the random effect, at least in this game, was not too much. It was funny and I would like to play it again.


After another short break was time for some quick game. Gianluca and Jappo played Anima and me and Saverio played Legie (3 times). I won all the 3 games. The first two we played the basic rules and the final one the advanced. I really enjoyed the advanced rules since, despite the abstracteness of the game, they give the feelings of a real battle. What I really like in Legie (I think is quiet original) is that you not need to aim in killing as much as possible your opponents but you must balance between attacking just to be ahead in pieces and than start to think how to place and protect your weak pieces. The terrains rules really change the game flow and in the last game I was able to win because I make a good use of the big forest. I nice game.

Other games played at club TreEmme Monday: two D&D 3.5 session, A Game of Thrones and a Warhammer battle.


good play
Liga

No comments: